Amigurumi Giraffe – Finished and Delivered!

You can find a previous post about project here! I used this pattern.

In my last post, I laid out all my pieces and was all ready to start sewing them together… until I realized I had completely forgotten to make the spots and the horns! So, first thing first, I had to make those. Luckily, it didn’t take long and I was soon ready to start sewing!

Horns and spots all read to go.

I admit, I put off sewing all the pieces together for ages. This is the most complicated amigurumi project I have done to date, so it was a bit intimidating to say the least. Finally, one evening I took the plunge. I sat down with a cup of tea, some good music and a determination to get this finished already!

The first thing to tackle was sewing all the components onto head and body before sewing it all together. The legs… oh my god, the legs. I found this part incredibly tricky, especially because sewing the legs on in the right place was crucial to how the giraffe would sit. I decided to almost “gung ho” it which, in the end, was not the best decision! Luckily my giraffe did sit relatively flat with everything sewn on, but I would highly suggest pinning all the legs into place before sewing to get an idea.

One leg sewn on here… Trying to find the right place to sew leg number 2!

Decided to sew on the front legs first in the end to give me a better idea of where the last leg should go.

Another difficulty I had was trying to reach inside the neck while sewing the legs. If I did this project again, I would put off starting the decrease rounds on the body section until after the legs were sewn on to increase ease of access.

The pattern I used suggested using safety eyes, but as it will be a baby gift, I thought it best to use yarn instead. I had some black on hand, so I worked up a magic ring with 6 single crochet into the middle to create a little circle. It was only after these were sewn on that I decided to add some white as the poor guy looked pretty soulless!

Look deep into my eyes….

Here is a picture of the head with all its components, plus the new and improved eyes:

Nostrils added as well!

And here are some pictures of the finished product!

Finally finished!!

Overall this was a very fun project to work on. And it is all made even better as I received this picture a couple of days ago!

Awww!

All the best to baby Archer and his parents, I hope he gets a lot of use out of his new giraffe!

Happy Hooking! 😊

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *